Sunday, August 20, 2006

A shawl is born...


It is Evelyn A. Clark's Flower Basket Shawl. I started this August 10th. As it is to be a Bat Mitzvah gift next week, I was on a tight time schedule. I was cutting it close on the yarn. I used Schaefer Anne in purplish colorway. The ball weighed in at around 120 gm when I started. I weighed the remaining ball of yarn after each repeat of chart 2. I was bold enough to get total of 12 repeats of chart 2. I did get nervous when I realized a very small ball of yarn left as I cast off. I have 2 or 3 yds left of the yarn (Whew!).
The pic was taken after about 1/3 of the cast off was done. Right off the needles, the measurements were 55"x25". It is happily blocking now. Picture will come later as the rain began last night causing this morning to be less than desirable for picture taking.

I still have quite a few shawls on needles.
1. The Shetland Tea Shawl is on the last pattern chart before the edging.
2. The Frost Flowers and Leaves Shawl: it's been so long I don't know where I left off.
3. Mystery Shawl 3 has been progressing as I've designated a deadline for next month. I am half way through the second to last chart.
4. Moebius lace scarf. Maybe I should just rip this out...except it is Kid Silk Haze, so....

Then there are the non-shawl items. I'll discuss them later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary, I am an anesthesiologist from NYC (one of
ellen's former lives), and I have been overtaken by the shawl compulsion. In fact I have 4 shawls on the needles presently;two with deadlinesin spite of having no posssible place to block them. I shoud note in this context I hav4 our cats to help me. Also I have decided to take up charity knitting for the homebound elderly who feel the cold more and need shawls and afghans and lap rugs to keep their fragile ones warn. Since charity begins a home and since my stash is composed of non-machne-washable wool, I may not be too easy to find an organization which aress with me.